By James Lewis
AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM: GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE,FOR THE PEOPLE -- ECONOMIC FREEDOM BASED ON FREE MARKET INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURISM -- WEALTH CREATION AS A SOURCE OF GREAT GOOD FOR THE DISADVANTAGED -- IMMIGRANTS PROVIDING UNPARALELLED ETHNIC, RELIGIOUS, RACIAL DIVERSITY -- OUR MILITARY PROVIDING AND PROTECTING WORLDWIDE INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM.
Tuesday, May 16, 2017
By James Lewis
By James Lewis
When George Will and other leading intellectuals started to rip holes in their warm comfort couches in despair at Donald Trump's long series of victories, culminating in his election to the presidency, a lot of us were scratching our heads. What was it about winning that drove George Will, Jonah Goldberg, and Bill Kristol to despair?
It made no sense.
Their Conservative Cringe makes even less sense today, when Trump is carrying out a series of actions that we have long clamored for.
Well, Mr. Will has finally identified his complaint in a WaPo opinion piece dramatically called "Trump Has a Dangerous Disability."
Donald Trump is suffering from a mental disorder, says Mr. Will, which doesn't actually appear in the psychiatric manual, but it still makes him mad as a hatter.
What kind of madness affects Trump?
Apparently it's his evasion of grammatical sentences. It's syntactophobia, maybe, or dyslexia of the intellect. Or something.
Now, I happen to think that Trump's political jargon is a shrewd way to dodge the murderous hatred of our fair-minded media, the people Mr. Will spends his life with. We know they examine every syllable emerging from Trump's mouth, ready to draw blood as soon as they can distort and lie about something he says that is perfectly innocent.
Trump has developed an effective way to reach you and me. We understand his private code, which leaves liberals foaming at the mouth. They really don't get what he says – because, for one thing, they never listen to conservative talk radio. About half of American voters have listened to Limbaugh and all the others over decades, on and off, enough to get the basic language. Trump has to say only half a sentence, and we know how to fill in the rest.
Conservative radio happens to reflect the ideas of the American Founders more than any other line of political discourse today, especially the cult language of snowflakes and space cadets in our universities. If you can't even tell who is sane and who is not, of course you won't get Trump, either.
That's the enemy-mined battle space for American politics today, and Trump has adapted to it more successfully than any conservative since Ronald Reagan.
But if you live, as George Will does, in the airy-fairy cocktail circuit of Washington sophisticates, where you actually get to finish a sentence before howling leftists jump down your throat, you might not know that.
Donald Trump has shrewdly and deliberately navigated the anti-conservative minefield. His actions (as opposed to his words) are finely calibrated to achieve intelligent ends.
Trump is on his third fabulous career. First, the international hotel business, where competition is extremely hot. Second, his showbiz career, where things are even more competitive, if anything. And third, his run for the presidency, where the New York Times wants to kill you, bad, and will resort to Pravda and Goebbels methods to destroy your credibility.
Having built three fabulous careers is not an accident. Trump is a man who has achieved major career goals when he set his mind to it. The normal standard of rational behavior is effective functioning in the real world. When the world is mad, you have to figure out how to cope, and our national politics is both irrational and self-destructive.
Among our presidents, there have been some who talked in complete sentences, like Obama with his two teleprompters, one to the left and one to the right, so he could fake sincerity in both directions. Obama had his personal fiction writer to support his grandiose fantasy life in complete sentences. Like his inaugural promise to lower the level of the seas.
BHO talked well and acted like a jihadist. One of his first appointments, one Elibiary, has just told us that Coptic Christians who were murdered in their church in Cairo "had it coming to them."
I would rather have a stutterer for a president than someone who supports the massacre of innocents. Wouldn't you?
We've had less articulate presidents, like Eisenhower, Truman, and Bush 41 and 43. History will judge their actions, but I happen to believe they were genuine patriots. They cared about the right things and did their best, while being sabotaged by the Demagogue Party.
When a president does his utmost to achieve the best results for his country and the world, I could not care less about his syntax.
After thinking about George and Jonah and Bill, who unanimously headed for the hills when Trump started to win, I've finally concluded that they despised Trump because he sounded low-class. It's a class thing.
Well, the D.C. establishment also despised Abe Lincoln as a low-class hick from the backwoods who spoke with a country accent. But they adored Woodrow Wilson, a dreadful president, because he spoke in whole sentences. He might have been horribly wrong about the League of Nations (now the über-corrupt U.N.), but hey, he had a Ph.D.
I'm sorry to see our guys destroy their reputations among ordinary conservatives over such a trivial matter. But it means they can't tell the difference between reality and syntax. That lack of common sense disqualifies them in my mind.
By George Will standards, Barack Hussein was the greatest president in history, while Harry Truman was a syntactically impaired goofball.
I happen to disagree.
Monday, April 24, 2017
Tuesday, April 11, 2017
I have had the pleasure of speaking and debating alongside former Colorado Gov. Dick Lamm. In Colorado five years ago, we took on an open-borders contingent that was pushing for the illegal alien ID card known as the matricula consular (which I’ve blogged about extensively here.) He’s a true maverick–a Democrat who has long presaged the self-destructive impact of open borders. In 2004, Dick Lamm gave a now-famous speech at one of the Federation for American Immigration Reform’s conferences. The incisive speech, “I have a plan to destroy America,” went viral. I still have at least one or two readers e-mailing it to me every week. I’m reprinting it today.
It’s more timely than ever as the differences between the two major political parties on these fundamental issues blurs and as open-borders activists on both sides of the aisle work to marginalize critics and redefine all dissent as “hate.” You will not, after reading and digesting Lamm’s speech, feel like “calming down.”
I have a plan to destroy America
by Richard D. Lamm
by Richard D. Lamm
I have a secret plan to destroy America. If you believe, as many do, that America is too smug, too white bread, too self-satisfied, too rich, let’s destroy America. It is not that hard to do. History shows that nations are more fragile than their citizens think. No nation in history has survived the ravages of time. Arnold Toynbee observed that all great civilizations rise and they all fall, and that “an autopsy of history would show that all great nations commit suicide.” Here is my plan:
1. We must first make America a bilingual-bicultural country. History shows, in my opinion, that no nation can survive the tension, conflict and antagonism of two competing languages and cultures. It is a blessing for an individual to be bilingual; it is a curse for a society to be bilingual. One scholar, Seymour Martin Lipset, put it this way: “The histories of bilingual and bicultural societies that do not assimilate are histories of turmoil, tension and tragedy. Canada, Belgium, Malaysia, Lebanon all face crises of national existence in which minorities press for autonomy, if not independence. Pakistan and Cyprus have divided. Nigeria suppressed an ethnic rebellion. France faces difficulties with its Basques, Bretons and Corsicans.”
2. I would then invent “multiculturalism” and encourage immigrants to maintain their own culture. I would make it an article of belief that all cultures are equal: that there are no cultural differences that are important. I would declare it an article of faith that the black and Hispanic dropout rate is only due to prejudice and discrimination by the majority. Every other explanation is out-of-bounds.
3. We can make the United States a “Hispanic Quebec” without much effort. The key is to celebrate diversity rather than unity. As Benjamin Schwarz said in the Atlantic Monthly recently, “The apparent success of our own multiethnic and multicultural experiment might have been achieved, not by tolerance, but by hegemony. Without the dominance that once dictated ethnocentrically, and what it meant to be an American, we are left with only tolerance and pluralism to hold us together.” I would encourage all immigrants to keep their own language and culture. I would replace the melting pot metaphor with a salad bowl metaphor. It is important to insure that we have various cultural sub-groups living in America reinforcing their differences, rather than Americans emphasizing their similarities.
4. Having done all this, I would make our fastest-growing demographic group the least educated. I would add a second underclass, unassimilated, undereducated and antagonistic to our population. I would have this second underclass have a 50 percent dropout rate from school.
5. I would then get the big foundations and big business to give these efforts lots of money. I would invest in ethnic identity, and I would establish the cult of victimology. I would get all minorities to think their lack of success was all the fault of the majority. I would start a grievance industry blaming all minority failure on the majority population.
6. I would establish dual citizenship and promote divided loyalties. I would “celebrate diversity.” “Diversity” is a wonderfully seductive word. It stresses differences rather than commonalities. Diverse people worldwide are mostly engaged in hating each other–that is, when they are not killing each other. A “diverse,” peaceful or stable society is against most historical precedent. People undervalue the unity it takes to keep a nation together, and we can take advantage of this myopia.
Look at the ancient Greeks. Dorf’s “World History” tells us: “The Greeks believed that they belonged to the same race; they possessed a common language and literature; and they worshiped the same gods. All Greece took part in the Olympic Games in honor of Zeus, and all Greeks venerated the shrine of Apollo at Delphi. A common enemy, Persia, threatened their liberty. Yet, all of these bonds together were not strong enough to overcome two factors … (local patriotism and geographical conditions that nurtured political divisions …)” If we can put the emphasis on the “pluribus,” instead of the “unum,” we can balkanize America as surely as Kosovo.
7. Then I would place all these subjects off-limits–make it taboo to talk about. I would find a word similar to “heretic” in the 16th century that stopped discussion and paralyzed thinking. Words like “racist”, “xenophobe” halt argument and conversation. Having made America a bilingual-bicultural country, having established multiculturalism, having the large foundations fund the doctrine of “victimology,” I would next make it impossible to enforce our immigration laws. I would develop a mantra –“because immigration has been good for America, it must always be good.” I would make every individual immigrant sympatric and ignore the cumulative impact.
8. Lastly, I would censor Victor Davis Hanson’s book “Mexifornia” –this book is dangerous; it exposes my plan to destroy America. So please, please–if you feel that America deserves to be destroyed–please, please–don’t buy this book! This guy is on to my plan.
“The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum.” –Noam Chomsky, American linguist and U.S. media and foreign policy critic.
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Thursday, April 6, 2017
DeVos: "No child, regardless of their ZIP code or family income, should be denied access to quality education”
How can any politician who supports the needs and desires of our kids and their parents over the needs and desires of the teacher unions - possibly be against public school choice in our under served urban school districts. Read this and weep:
NEW YORK, NY – More than 17,000 children were entered into yesterday’s admissions lottery for 3,017 available seats at Success Academy in 2017-18. Parents from every corner of New York City applied, driven by a severe shortage of high-quality schools and the network’s decade-long track record of achievement. This is the fourth consecutive year the Success wait list exceeds 10,000 kids.
The extraordinary wait list underscores the urgency with which parents across NYC are attempting to flee hundreds of failing schools. Across the Bronx, for example, not even 1 in 4 students is on grade level in reading or math. More than 5,600 children from the borough applied to Success Academy — 15 for every available seat. Overall, applications from kids zoned to the city’s very lowest-performing elementary schools increased by 30%.
Demand for a seat at one of Success Academy’s socioeconomically diverse schools was exceptionally high this year. More than 5,600 unique families applied for a seat at one of the network’s six schools that truly reflect the demographics of the city: SA Upper West, SA Bensonhurst, SA Williamsburg, SA Cobble Hill, SA Hell’s Kitchen and SA Union Square.
“Every year, we’re heartbroken that we can’t serve more families — parents who want to send their child to a great school, but have so few options,” said Success Academy founder and CEO Eva Moskowitz. “And we’re stunned that City Hall continues to let the pleas of waitlisted parents fall on deaf ears.”
Applications from District 2 — one of the top performing school districts in the city, but often overcrowded and lacking in diversity — also increased, by about 10% over last year, with more than 600 families applying to Success. The network is opening SA Hudson Yards in District 2 this year.
The network will open two new elementary schools in 2017-18, down from five last year, largely due to bureaucratic hurdles. The mayor has attempted to obstruct charter school growth by denying charter school students access to public space, even though there are currently 144,000 empty seats available in NYC public school buildings.
Parent demand was similarly strong last year, with an additional 3,000 applications submitted for its pre-k program, which was suspended for this year as the network and parents fight illegal red tape imposed by City Hall in court.
Additional highlights from the lottery:
- The Network’s top five districts by application total include Districts 9, 10, and 11 in the Bronx and District 29 in southeast Queens with more than 1,000 children from each district submitting applications. This is up from two such districts last year.
- After SA Bushwick’s successful first year, applications from the neighborhood (District 32) increased by 27%
- 615 students zoned to attend a Renewal school applied to Success
ABOUT SUCCESS ACADEMY CHARTER SCHOOLS
Founded in 2006, Success Academy Charter Schools are free public K through 12 schools open to all children in the state through a random lottery. With 41 schools across Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, and Queens, Success Academy enrolls 14,000 students, primarily low-income children of color in disadvantaged neighborhoods: 77% of students receive free or reduced-price lunch, 95% are children of color, 15% are children with disabilities, and 8.5% are English language learners. Ranked in the top 0.3% in math and the top 1.5% in English among all New York State schools on 2016 state proficiency tests, Success Academy schools received more than 20,000 applications for fewer than 3,400 open seats this year.
Monday, March 13, 2017
Friday, March 10, 2017
Sunday, March 5, 2017
A man boarded an airplane and took his seat. As he settled in, he glanced up and saw the most beautiful woman boarding the plane.
He soon realized she was heading straight towards his seatAs fate would have it, she took the seat right beside his.
Eager to strike up a conversation, he blurted out,"Business trip or pleasure?"
She turned, smiled and said, "Business. I'm going to the Annual Nympho- maniacs of America Convention in Boston."
He swallowed hard. Here was the most gorgeous woman he had ever seen sitting next to him, and she was going to a meeting of nymphomaniacs.
Struggling to maintain his composure, he calmly asked, "What's your business role at this convention?"
"Lecturer," she responded. "I use information that I have learned from my personal experiences to debunk some of the popular myths about sexuality."
Really?" he said. "And what kind of myths are there?"
"Well, she explained, "One popular myth is that African-American men are the most well-endowed of all men, when in fact it is the Native American Indian who is most likely to possess that trait."
"Another popular myth is that Frenchmen are the best lovers, when actually it is men of Jewish descent who are the best."
"I have also discovered that the lover with absolutely the best stamina is the Southern Redneck."
Suddenly the woman became a little uncomfortable and blushed. "I'm sorry," she said, "I shouldn't really be discussing all of this with you. I don't even know your name..."
"Tonto," the man said, "Tonto Goldstein, but my friends call me Bubba."